Xiaomi Redmi 1s entered Indian markets with a bang they have sold .5 Million units in the matter of flash sales. Xiaomi is getting fairly popular worldwide, but their reluctance to release the kernel source makes it difficult for developers to release stable ROM for Xiaomi devices. It directly means people are stuck with MIUI user interface.
Update: – Download links have be changed to the lastest and most stable version of CyanogenMod 12. It is personally test and can be easily used as a daily driver. RIL bug which was there is Mokee ROM is also fixed.
There are 4-5 AOSP (Android Open Source Project) ROMs available for Redmi 1s but most of them are unofficial include CM11 and Carbon, but Mokee devs are able to make most stable ROM for Redmi 1s aka Armani. One of the developer of Mokee “Keyur2maru” has listed unofficial CyanogenMod 12 (CM12) based on Android Lollipop for Redmi 1s aka Armani.
This ROM has lots of bugs and there is possibility that your device will be bricked if you flash this ROM. Please proceed with caution and If you don’t know about terms like flashing, rooting and custom ROM you must leave the website.
Please Note – This process will definitely void your smartphones warranty and there are loads of chances of instability since Xiaomi hasn’t released kernel source for Redmi 1s aka Armani. The ROM is still in the development phase and this is an early build.
Important – Flashing a custom ROM need to wipe cache and user data on your smartphone. Please backup all your essential stuff like photos, music and videos. Please don’t blame me for broken relationships and broken devices. Refer our disclaimer.
Final Warning – If you are continuing further then I pre-assume that you know the consequences of the process this cam permanently harm your device, you may hard brick your device. This is final warning if you are unaware of terms custom recoveries, custom ROMs, and flashing please leave the website.
Update: – Another CyanogenMod 12 version based on Android v5.0.2 was released by Syhost another popular developer of Mokee. This version of CyanogenMod 12 for Redmi 1s is almost stable and personally tested. A few bugs include slight lag while recording videos more than 1-2 minutes. You cannot see WiFi security of the networks detected. The Links below have been replaced to Syhost‘s CyanogenMod 12 because it is likely to boot and run smoothly.
Another problem I personally faced is the smartphone becomes laggy after transferring applications to SD Card from internal storage.
We have prepared a guide to install custom recovery TWRP or CWM or Philz on Xiaomi Redmi 1s. Click here.
Install Android Lollipop CyanogenMod 12 (CM12) on Xiaomi Redmi 1s Armani
- Now connect your smartphone to your computer and copy CM12 Unofficial zip and CWM or TWRP and Google Applications. Remember paste the files in Root directory of your SD Card.
- If you already have a custom recovery installed on your smartphone then you can skip to further steps and avoid flashing a custom recovery.
- Open updater application and select your preferable recovery file CWM or TRWP and update your device. You have successfully installed TWRP on your smartphone.
- Now enter into recovery mode either using MIUI’s updater application or by switching on smartphone by holding Volume Up and Power button simultaneously till you see Mi Logo.
- Now Select “Wipe” and wipe System, Cache, Dalvik Cache, Factory Reset. Swipe to confirm Wipe.
- Now Select “Install”, Swipe to top and click “One Level Up” then select “external sd” after that browse “CM 12 zip file” that you paste in steps above.
- And also flash Google Applications.
- Now Wipe Dalvik Cache again to be on a safer side.
- After all steps are done “reboot system”.
Congrats now you can enjoy Android v5.0.2 on your Redmi 1s. We Now RECOMMEND Flashing this ROM AS IT IS STABLE and PROBABLY Suitable as a daily driver. I am personally using this ROM and have no such issues except I mentioned above.