Xiaomi Redmi 1s is among the fastest selling smartphone in India. Popularity of Redmi 1s is likely due to the high specification/price ratio. Recalling specifications it is powered by a 1.6GHz Quad Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 processor which is overclocked to 1.6GHz from 1.2GHz. 1GB of RAM and 8GB of internal storage, which is expandable further up to 64GB via microSD card. It is bundled with a 4.7-inches HD capacitive touchscreen with decent viewing angles. The smartphone was less than half the price of Motorola Moto G (first gen.) as well as Moto G (Second Gen.) yet similar configuration, I would say better configuration than both the devices.
If you are a beginner to flashing custom ROMs and mods on your smartphone then the essential is to have a recovery, different than what manufacturer provide. There are key players in the market like CWM (ClockWorkMod), TWRP and Philz recovery. TWRP is my personal preference because its easy to use and supports almost all ROMs. CWM is also a great alternative, but some ROMs like LaceUp and RedmeXtreme were more comfortable with Philz and TWRP.
Selecting recovery is your personal preference we will guide you the procedure to install a custom recovery whatever you wish to install.
Please Note – Installing custom recovery void your smartphones warranty. Even for Xiaomi. Proceed with caution, you can’t blame me or AndroidCS afterwards.
Method One Using Mi Recovery
Difficulty – Very Easy
It is one of the simplest way to flash, files on Xiaomi smartphones. Using Mi Recovery to flash TWRP/CWM or any other custom recovery on Redmi 1s.
There are two procedures to install custom recoveries opt according to your preference.
- Download the recovery package *.zip file on your smartphone or computer then transfer it to the root directory of your smartphone.
- Now launch Updater application, then in settings of Updater select Install Update via Zip.
- After that browse *.zip you just transferred to the root directory.
- Hit Install update. It will extract and install, then a popup to reboot the device will display.
- Reboot device
Now you have TWRP/CWM or any other custom recovery on your Xiaomi Redmi 1s.
- Download the recovery package *.zip file on your smartphone or computer and transfer it to the root directory of your internal memory.
- Now rename the file as update.zip from whatever it was previously.
- Turn off the device.
- Now hold Volume Up and Power key simultaneously to boot in Mi Recovery.
- Select English as preferred language.
- Then Select Install.zip
- Reboot System
Now you have a custom recovery installed on your Redmi 1s. I would still recommend you TWRP over CWM.
Method Two Using Fastboot
Difficulty – Moderate
- Install latest drivers for your Redmi 1s on your computer. You will require a Windows computer for this procedure.
- Now Download Custom Recovery for Redmi 1s, TWRP or CWM. Links mentioned below.
- Install ADB and Fast boot on your system. Click here to install ADB and Fast boot on your computer.
- Recheck latest drivers are installed.
- Now reboot your Redmi 1s in fast boot mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Power Key simultaneously.
- Extract recovery zip file to obtain *.img file required to flash. Now paste this *.img file inside ADB and Fast boot folder.
- Connect your smartphone to your computer.
- Inside ADB + Fast boot + recovery *.img folder press Shift and then Right Click to get a dialog box having several options, select “Open command windows here.”
- Type the following command “adb devices” without quotes, hit enter.
- You will see, your device Id as a result, if nothing appears remove previously installed drivers for Redmi 1s and install the latest one and proceed further.
- To flash recovery type this command. “fastboot flash recovery (recovery name).img”, without quotes and hit enter.
- Flashing will commence and end soon.
- Then type “adb reboot recovery” without quotes, to enter into recovery and confirm recovery is successfully flashed on your smartphone.
Reboot to System. Enjoy TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project), CWM (ClockWorkMod) on your Xiaomi Redmi 1s aka Armani.
If your Redmi 1s is rooted then you can use TWRP’s application to install the custom recovery available on Google Play Store. Click here.
Download recoveries from the links below
Enjoy!! and do report broken links in the comments section. Have a good day and don’t spam.