Today I will show you how you can install custom recoveries like CWM or TWRP for Mi Max. Mi Max is the latest Android smartphone from Xiaomi. It was recently launched in the Event in New Delhi. It’s is relatively big smartphone more like a phablet. A fusion of tablet and a smartphone. It packs decent specifications and great battery for the price point.
Bootloader Unlocked – Bootloader of your smartphone should be unlocked. Beware unlocking bootloader will wipe all your data on the device. Proceed with caution.
Enable USB Debugging – Usb debugging should be enabled on your Mi Max. To enable USB debugging option you first need to access Developer Option. Navigate to Settings >> About Phone >> Tap on Build Number 7 time press back button now. You’ll see Developer Options in Settings menu. Now Open Developer Options and Enable USB Debugging for Mi Max.
Enable OEM Unlocking – This option is also available in Developer Options. Just enable OEM unlocking to proceed further.
How to Install TWRP/CWM on Mi Max Android Smartphone
- Download the twrp image or cwm image for Mi Max. Links are given in the end.
- Install ADB and Fastboot drivers. Click here for my guide for installing ADB and Fastboot drivers.
- Now rename the *.img file you downloaded to “recovery.img”
- Transfer “recovery.img” to ADB and Fastboot drivers folder which you installed recently.
- Open a command window at ADB and Fastboot drivers folder. To open a command window just hold shift and right click. A dialogue box will appear from that select “Open a command window here“
- Boot your smartphone into fastboot mode. Manually boot into fastboot mode by turning the phone On while holding Volume down key along with power key.
- Connect your smartphone to your computer.
- Type in the following command to check whether your device is successfully connected to your computer or not.
“fastboot devices” without quotes.
- Now type the following command to install a custom recovery on your Mi Max.
“fastboot flash recovery recovery.img“
- After installing type “fastboot reboot” to reboot your device
You have successfully installed a custom recovery on your Mi Max. Enjoy.